Gee whiz, it’s so true – a watched pot never boils (Man, I’m getting good with the cliche’s these days.) I started these seed experiments on January 19th, and here it is almost two months later. People have asked how the progress is going, and so far it is pretty disappointing. Here is a photo I took just an hour ago:
The left pot is the control group planted in commercial potting soil, the center is seeds planted in coconut fiber, and the right is the seeds that I soaked in a vinegar solution in order to break up the seed-coat. I cut off most of that in the photo because there is nothing to see. The control group is progressing the best so far. Even though there are probably a hundred or so seeds in there, only a handful have germinated. In the middle pot with the coconut fiber, there are only two struggling seedlings, that sprouted a couple of weeks ago, but they are not thriving – they haven’t even shed the seed-coat. Check it out. Pretty sad.
I didn’t want to apply any liquid fertilizer until I had a larger group germinating, but it seems as these seedlings are starved for some type of nutrient, if they cannot even shed their seed coat for two weeks.
It might be time to go back to square one and try a few different things. But literature has shown that it might take up to 100 days to germinate chiltepin, so it is not really time to give up on this batch. In the past years, we threw tepin seeds in a pot and went along with our business. Life is busy and fast-paced, and we never really counted the days until they sprouted, although we knew it did seem like a long time. But thankfully we never watched the pot, and it finally boiled. A watched pot never boils. I hope these pots will eventually…….